POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:32:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Sep 2008 07:29:56
Message: <op.ug7ouhluc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:45:07 +0100, Jim Holsenback
<jho### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> They are really pushing games programming here. They've even started a
> course in the high school's here. The part that bugs me is that it's
> called
> Information Technology around here. I keep trying to coin a new term
> (Entertainment Technology) but it hasn't taken hold. I guess that's the
> "old school" in me that see's Information Technology in a more
> traditional sense.

I think it was in Edge magazine one of the developers lashed into these
'cool' games programming lessons saying they were a waste of time and
you'd be better of with a Mathematics course and plain old Computer
Science. They want people who can produce path-finding algorithms and
other AI routines not have a degree in level design, you can get the
equivalent of that just from playing games a lot.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com