POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oddworld : Re: Oddworld Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oddworld
From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Sep 2008 05:45:44
Message: <op.ug7jy4iic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 08 Sep 2008 19:17:17 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
did spake, saying:

>>> Heh. I know from experience that the controller on the PS3 is
>>> virtually unusable.
>>  So unusable my 6 year old cousin can play a game with it despite it
>> being too large for his hands. Ah come on One Of Us, Join Us, Forsake
>> the Mouse and pick up the Joypad.
>
> NEVER! :-P

I'll remember that if you ever post how much Wii Sports is tiring you out
:-P

Okay taking Warp's view into account I'd be the first to agree that the
mouse is a better aiming mechanism for FPS games and it's really annoying
that despite the fact the PS3 supports both USB mice and keyboards very
few (as in only one) games seems to support them.

As for usability sure if you're trying to do a long range snipe of
someone's head tweaking the sticks is annoying, likewise 180 degree
rotations, but for the most part you do get used to the sticks.

>>> My PC can output resolutions so high my monitor can't handle it. :-P
>>  Ah but do you have a 40" widescreen LCD monitor? :-)
>
> No. My bedroom is significantly too small to fit one. :-P

How about a 32"? Of course it should be hooked up to the main television
so everyone can join in.

> My sister has one though. I find that having the screen so far away
> means you can't see the detail quite so well. It *does* look impressive
> though. Mind you, Benny has a 25" LCD that looks pretty amazing. He
> claims it's 1900x1600 or something absurd...

That does make me laugh - look at all the detail my 1080p screen picks up,
oh but you have to sit further away from it.

>>> What I _do_ know is that Abe's Oddessy and Abe's Exodus are on PC, but
>>> the next one is _only_ available for Xbox. :-(
>>  Yeah after Exoddus they switched over to XBox odd they didn't release
>> it for Windows too given the similarity in platforms.
>
> Exclusivity contract, much? ;-)

Yep must have tied themselves to Microsoft :-P

>>> The opening sequence is pretty damned easy, and the signs walk you
>>> through _all_ the controls. Even the PC ones. ;-)
>>  But you are being chased.
>
> Not in the PC version.

Hmm I recall "Run Abe Run" a flick screen and a wall you have to clamber
up with a squig following you.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com