POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oddworld : Re: Oddworld Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oddworld
From: Phil Cook
Date: 8 Sep 2008 12:27:10
Message: <op.ug57zidmc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:38:57 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> I... I have no idea... I don't know what games exist for PS.
>>  Damnit you need a console, get a PS3 and The Orange Box and we can go
>> TF2ing together :-P
>
> Heh. I know from experience that the controller on the PS3 is virtually
> unusable.

So unusable my 6 year old cousin can play a game with it despite it being
too large for his hands. Ah come on One Of Us, Join Us, Forsake the Mouse
and pick up the Joypad.

>> No need to worry about system specs
>
> I'm usually not.

Ever again mwhahahaha; actually I tell a lie you need to have enough HD
space to install the game. Of course you can just pop the drive and
install a larger capacity one if it does get full. Heck it'll even talk to
WMP11 so you can dump your photos on the PC and then play them back on the
TV.

>> or making sure your anti-virus programme doesn't suddenly decide to do
>> a system scan while you're playing
>
> I don't have any AV software.
>
>> (hey and no viruses either)
>
> Same here. ;-)

Okay.

>> 5-10 second boot up to menu
>
> That's worth having. (Ah, but how long to load an actual game? ;-)

Ah that depends on the game, hmm wandering through YouTube I see Rainbow
Six Vega 2 has a load time of 45 seconds from start to menu and letting
all the adverts play.

>> HD output
>
> My PC can output resolutions so high my monitor can't handle it. :-P

Ah but do you have a 40" widescreen LCD monitor? :-)

>> and a blu-ray player...
>
> Do you happen to know if anything has been released on BluRay yet?

There's been a few things released, Amazon lists 1,945 results for Blu-ray
though that includes a lot of pre-release stuff so let's say about 1,000
films. They're still too damn expensive at the moment compared to DVD
though, even the 'old' ones have only dropped to the same price as the
original DVD price whereas the DVD drops to half+ its price.

>>> (Or for PC, actually.)
>>  Heck I'm almost solely into PS3 now and I still know what's being
>> released on the PC and the 360.
>
> What I _do_ know is that Abe's Oddessy and Abe's Exodus are on PC, but
> the next one is _only_ available for Xbox. :-(

Yeah after Exoddus they switched over to XBox odd they didn't release it
for Windows too given the similarity in platforms.

>>> I just like making them shoot each other and stuff. Because I'm like
>>> that... (And also shooting their slogs. Heh.)
>>  I like the little chuckle they can make.
>
> "Here boy..." POW! POW! POW! POW! "Muhuhuhuh!"
>
> I am a sick, sick individual...
>
>>> Not sure which part you mean.
>>  The opening sequence. Almost old school in the expectations that you
>> have read the manual and thus have no real requirement for a control
>> tutorial.
>
> The opening sequence is pretty damned easy, and the signs walk you
> through _all_ the controls. Even the PC ones. ;-)

But you are being chased.

>>> (Well, except for the controls. Arrow keys to move, shift to run,
>>> space to jump... and ENTER to roll??)
>>  Ah yes console joypad for teh win. What are the whistle codes mapped
>> to?
>
> 7 is the high whistle and 8 is the low whistle. (Notice how they mapped
> them the wrong way round to confuse expert keyboard players such as
> myself.)

Heh.

--
Phil Cook