POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? : Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 15 Aug 2008 04:02:17
Message: <op.ufw4khc0c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:29:08 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:54:03 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> And lo on Wed, 13 Aug 2008 05:11:43 +0100, Jim Henderson
>> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:
>>
>> The latest trick on commercial channels here is to run two programmes
>> back to back with only a short trailer-type ad separating them and then
>> chuck in the ad break early. Better yet the first programme overruns
>> slightly so the next one starts 1 minute late whereas the BBC seem to be
>> finishing programmes slightly earlier so the next one starts 1 minute
>> before it's scheduled.
>
> Yeah, I've seen that as well - end up having to adjust the recording
> times to start 1 min early and end 1 min late.  Which means if I've got
> three programmes set to record in a 2 hour period (one ending and two
> starting, for example - we've a dual tuner DVR), something's going to get
> clipped.

Should have been solved by now. We had PDC back in the VCR days, the
broadcaster would send a signal at the end/start of a broadcast and the
recorder would be looking for this signal at about the time it should be
starting. Failed miserably as some broadcasters didn't use it and some
misused it (you'd get the 60-second news blip instead of the programme).
With EPG's it should all be a done deal, but for the last few weeks it's
been showing Newsnight when Never Mind the Buzzcocks has been broadcast
unless I reset the EPG and one programme I'm regularly recording starts 15
minutes before its scheduled.

>>> All that money that goes into advertising could be much better spent
>>> making a product that I want to buy, improving the service that goes
>>> with the product, or making a good product better.
>>
>> Pfft everyone knows it's marketing that sells products, not having the
>> best or even just a good product.
>
> Oh, right, I forgot - because they wouldn't do that if it wasn't
> effective.  Stupid me - it's too bad I'm not willing to be a sheep....

Life is so much easier when you are :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com