POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I thought I did a good job... : Re: I thought I did a good job... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I thought I did a good job...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 13 Aug 2008 05:10:32
Message: <op.uftifhw2c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:01:14 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
did spake, saying:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> None of us gets an instruction manual on how to be a parent.

Though that's only a matter of time, with fines if you don't do things
correctly.

> How about this: When I was about 3 years old, I walked to the local
> nursry by myself one day. Just found a chair, opened the front door and
> toddled over there. It's about 1 mile and involves crossing a small road.
>
> When I got home, my mother was hyperventilating. My mumbled responce of
> "I walked to nursry but it was shut but then a nice man gave me a
> sweety" didn't seem to calm her down.

When I was younger (so much younger than today) I took our neighbour's
kid, his younger sister and her pushchair up to the local store; like you
about a mile away, but crossing about four minor roads. We were discovered
parents, an advantage of doing things locally, heh see I've always liked
shopping :-)

>>> Like I said, a stressful and thankless task. :-(
>>  Not at all.  Ken turns 21 in a few weeks; he still lives at home (he's
>> at the local university when school's in session), and when I'm working
>> from home, he frequently comes by and gives me a hug for no reason; he
>> still comes in and kisses us goodnight before going to bed.
>
> Heh. I guess because *my* parents were always quite distant I forget
> what it's like to be a normal family...

I gotta say what with you having a sister I'm surprised how you present
yourself; I'm an only child but I was lucky in that a) I had a cousin of
the same age I saw frequently, and b) I was raised in a cul-de-sac next to
a vast expanse of wilderness that attracted a large age-range of kids from
the entire locality.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com