POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? : Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 7 Aug 2008 09:30:57
Message: <op.ufiqeep8c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:06:11 +0100, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Wed, 06 Aug 2008 01:02:40 +0100, Jim Charter
>> <jrc### [at] msncom>  did spake, saying:
>>
>>> Is it just me being paranoid?  In order to avoid service charges on
>>> my  credit card, it has been my practice to maintain a constant
>>> positive  balance on the card.  Enough that I wouldn't, though my own
>>> forgetfulness, incur a service charge because some amount I charged
>>> hit  just at the due date and I forget to put money in.  So now I see
>>> a debit  on my account marked REFUND AS R.
>>   Like Steve I'm following this thread and getting confused, but for a
>> different reason. I have a credit card with one company, I've
>> authorised  them to withdraw (and pay in) money to one of my bank
>> accounts (another  company). About the second week of the month then
>> pull the full amount  owed for the previous month. The only time I have
>> to do anything is if I  don't want that to happen and I just want to
>> pay the minimum and then  incur interest charges.
>>  Same thing with the majority of utility bills - the invoice comes
>> through  and the payment drawn a few days later. In some case they'll
>> charge you an  'admin' fee for not doing it this way.
>>
> Yeah, I might try and get organized enough to try something like that.
> At least for bills.  I didn't know you could do it for credit card.

Well you can in the UK

> You're probably confused because normally people of my age are a little
> more mature about these matters.

Eh? You mean where I monitor bills and credit card statements as one
combined outgoing prior to payment dates and ensure that funds exist
within the bank account to deal with them in advance such that going on
holiday for a fortnight and not being able to get to the bills doesn't
mean me returning to invoice plus reminder plus reminder plus threatening
letter; that sort of maturity?

> I had that set up once apon a time, I think with either cable or phone
> but had one of the payments bounce.  The company disallowed me to use
> that method after that.  I should probably try to set it up again.

As I said some companies here penalise you if you don't do things this way.

> With credit card though, I did like my +ve balance idea because it did
> cause me to monitor activity on the card, but gave me a cushion if I got
> the timing wrong.

That's the bizarreness so you buy something on CC for $40 then when it
comes to pay you send them $50 so you have positive $10? The only way I
see this as a good thing is if the credit card pays interest on the
amount, which I know some do, but in that instance they wouldn't be
refunding it to you so why do it?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com