POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? : Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 18 Aug 2008 07:22:26
Message: <op.uf2xwcv2c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:06:25 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:01:19 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> And lo on Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:29:08 +0100, Jim Henderson
>> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:
>>> Yeah, I've seen that as well - end up having to adjust the recording
>>> times to start 1 min early and end 1 min late.  Which means if I've got
>>> three programmes set to record in a 2 hour period (one ending and two
>>> starting, for example - we've a dual tuner DVR), something's going to
>>> get clipped.
>>
>> Should have been solved by now. We had PDC back in the VCR days, the
>> broadcaster would send a signal at the end/start of a broadcast and the
>> recorder would be looking for this signal at about the time it should be
>> starting. Failed miserably as some broadcasters didn't use it and some
>> misused it (you'd get the 60-second news blip instead of the programme).
>> With EPG's it should all be a done deal, but for the last few weeks it's
>> been showing Newsnight when Never Mind the Buzzcocks has been broadcast
>> unless I reset the EPG and one programme I'm regularly recording starts
>> 15 minutes before its scheduled.
>
> I wish they'd do that - and a better job of everyone synchronizing their
> clocks, too.

The default here is BBC time.

> Shows that say they start at, say, 9:00 on some channels
> start as much as 5 minutes later

Groan just had one programme on the EPG actually scheduled to start 10
minutes early then normal. Just for this one week mind then it goes back
to normal.

> ....My DVR used to have a bug (since
> fixed, but it was there for a LONG time) where if you adjusted the start/
> end times, it would occasionally lock up between 2 and 4 AM.  Actual
> documented bug in the software.  Took almost 2 years for them to fix it.

Apparently one bug on mine meant that using the PiP facilty didn't free
the time shift memory used by it when switched back to one channel. Oh and
if I use the padding on recording it disables the series link so you
either have to remember to
set it manually each time or set up your own repeating slot and disengage
it from the EPG (which is what happened above)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com