POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! : Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:42:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it!
From: Phil Cook
Date: 28 Jul 2008 05:05:59
Message: <op.uezvh7u8c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:28:29 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>
>   Parking restrictions exist solely to keep some kind of order and
> fluency in city traffic.

No they don't they're also there for safety reasons. Check page 2 of the
link "saw the officer park his marked patrol car in a curbside no-parking
zone, within several feet of a crosswalk." You don't park next to a
crossing as it obscures the view of pedestrians (both senses).

> Someone parking in a no-parking zone is not a serious
> crime. Depending on the situation, it may simply be a small nuisance to
> the fluency of the general traffic.

Which is why the parking laws often have exceptions or need clarifying
such as adding loading restriction markings to a parking restriction.

>   The law exists so that people will not park wherever they want,
> obstructing
> and hindering others. The police seldom obstructs and hinders others
> because
> they know how to behave in traffic. If a police parks temporarily in a
> no-parking zone, I would not say that's a grave offence. The police most
> probably chose the place for convenience, but also making sure he is not
> an bad obstruction to other traffic.
>
>   Why shouldn't the police be allowed more leniency with parking, as long
> as they do not obstruct traffic? I don't see any harm in that.

Because as has been said they're supposed to upload the laws and we only
allow them leniency whilst in pursuit of those goals, not when in pursuit
of a meal. Perhaps we should also allow them to use their sirens to clear
traffic when they need to get to a restaurant that's about to close?

It's also important to note that this wasn't a stop, grab and off; "About
five minutes after the officer arrived, Bryant walked up to him and told
him he was parked illegally." IOW Bryant had already cut the officer some
slack.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com