POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Caller ID spoofing? : Re: Caller ID spoofing? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caller ID spoofing?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 24 Jul 2008 11:44:22
Message: <op.uesy6zjgc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:08:46 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:48:48 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> And lo on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:37:41 +0100, Mike Raiford
>> <mra### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

>>> The "terrorist" du jour appears to be a woman and her father taking
>>> pictures of butterflies on petunias.
>>
>> On a similar note we've just had the story of someone being asked to
>> stop taking photos of a kiddies paddling pool - the someone in question
>> being an 82-year old women taking pictures of an empty pool.
>>
>> The staff member was just rigorously following the ISRM guidelines that
>> cleverly don't distinguish between a populated and unpopulated area.
>
> Why is this discussion making me think "In communist Russia...." lines?

Possibly because we have a PM that's been referred to as Stalin?

As I said the problem was with the guidelines -

1. With digital cameras getting smaller and with no need for third-party
processing the ability to misuse images increases.
2. Obviously people in changing rooms, locker rooms, swimming pools etc
are particularly susceptible to this.
3. Therefore make a rule banning cameras from those areas.

This is the rule that the staff get told and they're certainly not paid to
think (and would no doubt be reprimanded if they did) so the fact that the
reason for the rule existing does not apply in these circumstances has no
bearing on the application of the rule.

Quote: "We have to walk a fine line between protecting the children who
use this popular paddling pool and the interests of the community as a
whole. A lot of people are more concerned about the safety of their
children these days so it is appropriate that our staff are aware of who
is taking photos in the area."

Not a hint that the guidelines might need tweaking.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com