POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: Phil Cook
Date: 23 Jul 2008 10:52:27
Message: <op.ueq141qcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:50:07 +0100, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> did
spake, saying:

>> The real point is more that on a PC, just switching from one window to
>> another always seemed to take forever, whereas on an Amiga it was
>> instantaneous unless the machine was under heavy load.
>
> Yeh, I remember my friend had a 33 MHz PC, and just closing a window it
> took several seconds for his desktop wallpaper to repaint itself, slowly
> scanning down the screen line-by-line.

Another obvious case of False Memory Syndrome.

> They also ported some really cool vector art package that was originally
> written for the Acorn (I think it was called Artworks on the Acorn and
> Xara on the PC).  At some computer show I went to they had both packages
> running on a latest Acorn and PC at the time, and of course the Acorn
> was something like 8x faster at drawing complex shapes with lots of
> graduated fills and transparency.  It had fininshed drawing the entire
> picture, while the PC was still drawing the background fills.

Ah but was the Artworks-derived Xara for the PC really comparable to
Artworks on the Acorn or is it just another Blender to Paint comparison?

;-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com