POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conserving memory... : Re: Speaking of conserving memory... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of conserving memory...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 21 Jul 2008 05:16:59
Message: <op.uemxdihqc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:26:33 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> Wouldn't that suggest that bunging some more memory in would only
>> increase the time it took to fill up?
>
> "Had to restart the system to free up resources" could mean "we're
> thrashing because we have 5000 connections open to the server at once,
> because they're not closing, because we're thrashing." For example.

True, but that still may be simply postponing the problem; the article
mentions the increasing need for restarting.

> But sure, if there's a leak, you'll eventually fill up memory. If 2 gig
> changes it from being "restart the server once every day" to "restart
> the server more rarely than we upgrade the software anyway", it's a win.

Indeed from a business perspective if buying more memory is cheaper then
fixing the underlying problems then that's the 'best' solution. I just
wouldn't place this article in the pure WTF category.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com