POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Caller ID spoofing? : Re: Caller ID spoofing? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caller ID spoofing?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 1 Aug 2008 04:15:02
Message: <op.ue67t1g8c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:06:31 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:35:16 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> Oh, I don't know that that's sufficient.  At least here in the US, it
>>> still has to be somebody's *fault*.
>>
>> Yep - your own :-P
>
> I wish more people would realise this.  But the trend over the last
> several years has been to blame someone else in order to hit the
> "jackpot" with a sizable judgment.

Well if the media publicise the 'Judge orders company to pay $X in
compensation" over the "Judge clears company in court case" then what
anyone expect?

>  The most famous was Stella, who won a
> judgment against McDonald's because she put a hot cup of coffee between
> her legs and got burned.

Darren talked about this in a much earlier thread. He pointed out that
McDs knew the coffee was over temperature and did nothing about it, but
that the only way this was discovered was because Stella sued and got hold
of the literature documenting this.

>>> Yeah, but that requires thinking on the part of the school
>>> administration, and we can't have *that* going on in our schools....
>>
>> Two independent thought alarms in one day! But yeah that would require
>> making a judgment call for which you can be sued later.
>
> LOL

Heh as per the photograph taking you can't be done for obeying the rules,
your employers/company can be but you're safe.

>>> But there's also (in some schools) a double-standard.  Students have ZT
>>> applied to them, but let a staffer do something that is a *fireable*
>>> offense and those same non-thinking administration people are willing
>>> to overlook it.
>>
>> But we both know that the normal rules are suspended in times of
>> emergency, just look at all the laws both our governments have been
>> ramming through the system. "We think you've got drugs on your person.
>> Strip down while I put on this rubber glove"
>
> Yeah, that's true enough.  But a staffer doing something (as opposed to a
> student) doesn't really qualify in my book as an "emergency" of any sort.

Running around waving my hands in the air type of emergency rather then
staying quiet and fearing for my life type of emergency.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com