POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! : Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it!
From: Phil Cook
Date: 28 Jul 2008 12:22:30
Message: <op.ue0fo3qic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:43:10 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>> So presumably you'd want to widen this to including firefighters,
>> ambulance drivers, doctors, nurses etc.
>
>   No, because they don't patrol the streets while on duty.
>
>   You are still slipperysloping.

Um yes you keep trying to suggest that this train of argument is
universally flawed without providing any evidence. Slipperysloping is a
reality - "Hey you're permitting X why aren't you permitting Y which is
just like X sort of"

>> An ambulance driver is on their
>> way back from a call stops off in a no-parking zone to grab a meal
>> because
>> a) he needs to keep an eye on the vehicle and b) needs to be able to
>> respond to an emergency.
>
>   Ambulance drivers eat at the hospital (or whichever place they are when
> not on a call). They are not even supposed to eat while on a call.

So why don't the police do the same thing?

>> >   Basically you are saying that in a situation where doing both things
>> > at the same time is not possible by the strict letter of the law, for
>> > example because there are no available parking slots nearby, the
>> police
>> > officer must sacrifice one duty for the other.
>
>> Or to put it another way he has to do what everyone else has to do.
>
>   Everyone else don't have the same duties as police officers. A police
> officer has more responsibility, thus it's only logical to make him
> fulfilling this responsibility as easy as possible.

Nope it's the Spiderman quote - a police officer is given more powers and
thus has a greater responsibilty not to abuse them. IOW the rules should
be stricter when they are not directly in pursuit of those duties.

Mueen's got the right idea let a judge determine whether any such illegal
acts have been commited in the pursuit of a police officer's duty... oh
wait they did in this case and fined him.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com