POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : mean : Re: mean Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mean
From: Phil Cook
Date: 1 Jul 2008 04:58:06
Message: <op.udlu72bcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:39:43 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> that new areas you might not even have realised existed become
>> accessible when you gain extra abilities,
>
> That was one of the things I liked about Thief. The harder levels
> weren't "people are harder to hurt" or "health is less healing". The
> harder levels were almost different games, with different/additional
> goals and access to different places.

You're right I should have included Thief 1 & 2 on that plinth, it's like
that XKCD cartoon on purity they're so far to the right you can't see
them. Thief indeed is closest to the SoulReaver feel just minus the
violence.

> I remember looking for the hard loot on the easy setting in the zombie
> crypts one time (having played the game through several times and now
> just wanting to basically look something up), wandering around for about
> half an hour before I realized it Wasn't There. (Thief levels are big
> enough and complex enough that it's not always obvious you've gotten
> where you think you have, even after having played a number of times.)

And isn't there also a holy water fountain one of the levels on easy
that's removed on hard? Hah getting around Thief is actually similar to
SR, you don't get an auto-map just a map with the equivalent of you are
here (in Stourport) and you want to head here (Worcester) you have to pay
attention to your surroundings or you can easily get turned around.

> Not unlike how Deus Ex gives you at least two ways to solve every
> problem.

That was the one thing missing from the SR series it was linear in that
you only had one way of doing something. Although occasionally you could
do multiple tasks in a different order to achieve the same goal you still
has to do all the tasks.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com