POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Phil Cook
Date: 1 Jul 2008 09:58:15
Message: <op.udl81op6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:36:59 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/30/come-back-xp-forgiven
>
>> Is it just me, or are all these complaints about Vista the exact same
>> things we heard about XP when moving from Win2k?
>
>   There's one difference, though. When MS discontinued Win98 support in
> favor of WinXP, there was no petition signed by over 200000 users sent to
> Microsoft to keep the Win98 support going on. I think that's rather
> telling.

But XP did everything that 98 did only better, the changeover was
virtually seamless.

>   Also I have the feeling that this time MS rushed the discontinuation of
> the previous version of Windows in order to artificially boost sales of
> the new version. IIRC when the Win98 line of Windows's was dropped, XP
> was already quite stable and popular. Not so with Vista.

As I think I said elsewhere I think the problems are that Microsoft
managed to produce an OS that really hit the mainstream when it was
stable, worked with the majority of programmes already used, and didn't
look much different from the previous version.

They then let it marinate in the user pool until everyone got used to it
and are now 'forcing' people to switch to something that seems to fall
over constantly, doesn't run any of 'my' software properly and
everything's moved from where I want it to be.

>   (Btw, am I just being paranoid, or is one of the reasons for MS to so
> quickly stop support for XP that the music and film industry is
> pressuring
> MS to do so, in favor of the DRM technology in Vista? For some reason
> this
> oppressive DRM technology caused a furor years ago, but nowadays nobody
> remembers it anymore or talks about it. Why has everybody forgotten it?)

I think it's more shock therapy to get the markets moving.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com