POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 13:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Phil Cook
Date: 18 Jun 2008 04:24:21
Message: <op.ucxqyencc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:52:24 +0100, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom>
did spake, saying:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:18:12 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>

>> Presumably this is why all schoolchildren [in the UK at least] have
>> Shakespear inflicted upon them as a mandatory component of their
>> education. I still can't figure out what good it's supposed to do.
>>
> It does no good what so ever. The reason is, IM(NS)HO that the
> Cultural (large C) grandees think that it should be taught because
> Shakespeare is the bard and he is important. And this is coming from
> someone who has seen all of his plays at least three times.
> Shakespeare is inappropriate for children, they cannot understand the
> language. Who amongst us understands the joke in Troilus and Cressida
> when someone asks where Ajax is and the answer is "Looking for
> himself" You need to know that Ajax sounds like "a jacksie" or an old
> fashioned name for a toilet. That is he was crapping himself. Also the
> world view in Shakespeare is too adult for children.
> Which reminds me I must get on with my entry for the TC-RTC "The
> Tempest" ;)

Likewise I think it was in the Science of the Discworld: The Globe that
had two characters discussing one of Shakespeares plays and discussing a
line that near had them wet themselves with laughter and to which modern
readers would be going "Huh?"

Hamlet: Lady, shall I lie in your lap?
Ophelia: No, my lord.
Hamlet: I mean, my head upon your lap?
Ophelia: Aye, my lord.
Hamlet: Do you think I meant country matters?
Ophelia: I think nothing, my lord.
Hamlet: That's a fair thought to lie between maids' legs.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com