POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 15:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Phil Cook
Date: 18 Jun 2008 10:44:42
Message: <op.ucx8ixgcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:42:25 +0100, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom>
did spake, saying:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:24:04 +0100, "Phil Cook"
> <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>
>> and to which modern
>> readers would be going "Huh?"
>
> Do you think so?

In this particular instance something like 'My Lord doth doff his cap' I
think it was just an attempt to show that unless you lived at that time
and in that culture you can't truely appreciate the plays to their fullest.

> It is subtle by his lights, try from Midsummer Nights Dream.
>
> THISBY. O wall, full often hast thou beard my moans,
>     For parting my fair Pyramus and me!
>     My cherry lips have often kiss'd thy stones,
>     Thy stones with lime and hair knit up in thee.
> …
>
> THISBY. I kiss the wall's hole, not your lips at all.

and of course almost anything that Mercutio utters in R&J :-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com