POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting comment about jury/judge stuff... : Re: Interesting comment about jury/judge stuff... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting comment about jury/judge stuff...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 17 Jun 2008 04:37:52
Message: <op.ucvwxfd6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:52:00 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> On the other hand, I read about people going to jail for having
> prescription medicine for which the doctor gave them a prescription,
> except they weren't allowed to tell the jury he had a prescription.  Me,
> I would have stood up in the middle of the trial and just said "My
> doctor prescribed these pills. That's why I have them." And let the
> judge try to lock me up for talking out of turn. :-)  [I think I heard
> they won on appeal, with the higher judge calling it ridiculous, but you
> still wind up spending time.]

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/07/19/Hillsborough/Man_with_prescription.shtml
perhaps?

> So, yeah, there has to be some reasonableness going on. If the President
> isn't going to obey the laws Congress passes, your country is pretty
> f'ed to start with. Same with the courts.

At least you have restraints in theory our government can do whatever the
hell they like legally (though it takes some persistance and doing)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com