POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Round Manholes : Re: Round Manholes Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round Manholes
From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Jun 2008 04:37:25
Message: <op.ucg3ly1gc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sun, 08 Jun 2008 23:01:45 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Stephen wrote:
>> Not in the UK they don't. They are kept in position by gravity. They
>> lift in and out vertically.
>
> Wow. How do they keep them level with the road, then? How do they even
> make them level with the road in the first place?

If you're talking about what I think you are then there are adjustment
bricks that can be altered to raise or lower the level, but on a new road
(or a stripped one) the level of the road surface is dictated by the
ironworks. If an alteration is done then a square is cut around the cover,
the work is done and that section of road is resurfaced to the level of
the ironwork. Oh sure there are rules about the degree of difference
between new and existing surfaces - heh, but this is why we have the lumpy
bumpy roads we know and love :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com