POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : About sounds in space in movies : Re: About sounds in space in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About sounds in space in movies
From: Phil Cook
Date: 24 Jun 2008 07:21:58
Message: <op.uc826vxac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:50:58 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

>   Movies which have sound in space are simply sticking to the movie
> convention that the soundtrack is that which is perceived by the subject
> being filmed, not that which is perceived by the camera (which doesn't
> really "exist" in that reality).

But the spaceship is an object and thus isn't a 'subject' that can
perceive anything. Sure if you're focused on some guy staring out a
porthole you could hear what he can hear. Likewise in a battle the sounds
 from the ship's own blasters can be transmitted to the pilot, but how does
the sounds from the other ships guns get transmitted to them unless you're
expected to take the perceptions of every ship on screen; and even then
you can have someone react to a 'laser' bolt zipping by their ship from an
unseen enemy.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com