POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
8 Sep 2024 05:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Phil Cook
Date: 21 May 2008 09:29:49
Message: <op.ubiacn1gc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 21 May 2008 10:30:14 +0100, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> did
spake, saying:

>>> Dude, you're so out of date, were you even born when the UK officially
>>> abandoned the idea that a million million is a billion?
>>
>> It's new to me that it was *ever* abandoned. (Why would you do such a
>> thing?)
>
> To avoid confusion?

With whom? Oh wait silly question.

> IIRC back in the 80s (or maybe even earlier)

'74 according to Wikipedia.

> the UK officially stopped using "billion" to mean 1e12, and since then
> it has always meant 1e9.  Did you really think all those figures in the
> financial part of the paper that say $6bn mean $6000000000000 and not
> $6000000000?

Still amusing that a bi(mi)llion is officially a thousand million,
linguists of the future are going to have so much fun with this.

Perhaps we should just drop the names and use £6e9 or £3e12 for anything
over a million?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com