POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Everything Sucks : Re: Everything Sucks Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Everything Sucks
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 7 May 2008 14:05:41
Message: <op.uaspvgjim1sclq@pignouf>
Le Wed, 07 May 2008 17:03:59 +0200, Halbert <hal### [at] gmailcom> a

> Meaning no disrespect, but I have to disagree. Having spent years living
> with someone who had frequent psychotic episodes and turn into a very
> strange, scary, paranoid, but then would return to a completely normal
> housewiufe and mother of two the next day. I can tell you with assurance,
> that the problem isn't due to psychological trauma, guilt or any other
> life
> experience. It may be precipitated by an event. Episodes may be
> triggered.
> But the root of the problem is biochemical
> I am told that the need for meds can sometimes lessen and even go away
> but
> seen that when someone tries to ween themselves off the meds, bad things
> can
> happen. (No matter what Tom Cruise says.)  I've had knives thrown at me.
> My
> step-daughter's bed room was destroyed.
> But I'm sure Sam is aware of what can happen. And he is not stopping his
> meds by choice. Trying to treat such a problem with things like diet and
> meditation, relaxation techniques and the like may be helpful, but
> relying
> on them alone is a bad choice and even dangerous.
>
> --

We do not really disagree, but just do not adress the same cases. And what
you say is also true. It is the same old tradeoff for depression:
biochemical or existential. In both situations, or mixed ones, a chemical
prison is not the solution, and rather an easy escape from health systems.
If the problem is well defined (diagnosed), the chemical treatment can be
acurately targeted and cannot lead to chemical prison. I can also assure
you that many, many and many people diminished dramatically their pills
(included the useless ones they took unappropriately) by recovering more
or less control of their body and mind. A significant proportion of them
could even stop completely the chemical treatment, some others still have
to keep a background chemical treatment.

What is sure is that all health systems of developped countries very often
over-use chemistry, preventing them from searching the true causes and a
matching treatment, and filling the labs' purses, with the collaboration
of the above-mentionned health systems. Anti-depressants are the most
famous examples of these over-prescriptions.

Now, however, we do not know much of Sam's situation, and this knowledge
belong to him alone. We just can say generalities, and this is no place
for speculating on it. He is sure aware of many things we are not.

     Bruno

--

http://www.opera.com/mail/