POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Everything Sucks : Re: Everything Sucks Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Everything Sucks
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 7 May 2008 19:30:01
Message: <op.uas4v42pm1sclq@pignouf>

> 5.  The results of serious studies on meditation are mixed. I'm pretty
> sure,
> however, that it helps me and I proffer my personal unscientific
> recommendation
> to give it a go if you're at all so inclined.
>  Ive never gotten far with meditation. Perhaps this is due to the fact
> that I try when I'm laying down for the night, and end up sleeping
> instead of getting much accomplished. If I could reach a state of
> internal reflection similar to what I get with this certain OTC
> substance, I would be well most of the time, I think.

When you begin, you cannot meditate correctly by yourself. You must be
introduced and guided by someone who is experienced: zen or yoga teacher,
buddhist monk or so. Meditation is a long process of practice. It can take
a whole year before you can make youself relax correctly and make your
mind silent enough to perform 'real' work. However for someone who just
begins, being capable of reducing significantly the noise in the mind is
already a very good success. Who did not practice meditation for long
cannot imagine the power (including therapeutic).

The gate to meditation: breath.

Sam, from time to time, try to relax and concentrate on your breathing:
sounds (internal & external), movements of your chest, contact with the
matress or the chair, feeling of the air passing through, smells, the
shape of your body etc.. Every time you can do that and think of nothing
much else, you experience a parenthesis where depression is not present, a
bubble of positive living, an additional drop of 'antidote' in the
troubled glass.

When you walk and walk towads a mountain, you may feel it does not get any
closer. You walk and walk more and more, it seems to move away. But after
a undetermined period of time the mountain raises quite suddenly: you have
arrived.

The key: do not expect any result. A fortiori, any quick result. Just do
it. Do not interpret. Just notice that some phenomena occured.

Bruno

--

http://www.opera.com/mail/