POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Latin Pronunciation : Re: Latin Pronunciation Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Latin Pronunciation
From: Phil Cook
Date: 29 Apr 2008 11:17:20
Message: <op.uadosyiac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:52:48 +0100, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom>
did spake, saying:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:45:11 +0100, "Phil Cook"
> <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>
>> Note that in this example someone trying to speak 'extinct'
>> English from this would be likely to pronounce the e and full 'gorie'
>> rather then vowel switch the e to a and slur to -gry.
>
> Oh!

Another way to look at it is cyan as ki-an, because from known examples
"c" is always hard in English when it's the first letter. So we'd could
also get ky-me for chime for similar reasons. Of course you could spot
that cy and ch correspond to different sounds in foreign
derivative/original words, but that assumes you're working with a full
representative one-to-one vocabulary. IOW it's educated guesswork.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com