POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Latin Pronunciation : Re: Latin Pronunciation Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:07:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Latin Pronunciation
From: Phil Cook
Date: 29 Apr 2008 10:44:07
Message: <op.uadm9lfcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:35:24 +0100, Doctor John
<doc### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Warp wrote:
>>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Further Latin is used in taxonomy and pretty heavily in the medical
>> field.
>
> IIRC there's a bunch of guys living in the centre of Rome who speak it
> pretty well ;-)

To be precise they're speaking Ecclesiastical Latin not Classical Latin,
as I said we know (guess) on the pronunciation of Classical Latin from
foreign renderings. If English became extinct but German was still spoken
then we could guess how the word category was pronounced from the German
kategorie. Note that in this example someone trying to speak 'extinct'
English from this would be likely to pronounce the e and full 'gorie'
rather then vowel switch the e to a and slur to -gry. IOW you could
probably make yourself understood, but you'd be considered to have an odd
accent or most likely a non-native speaker.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com