POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about C++ : Re: A question about C++ Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about C++
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 14 May 2008 15:03:57
Message: <op.ua5q8u2b7bxctx@e6600.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:54:31 +0200, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
>> What is this obsession some people have with speaking code out loud?
>
> I don't know it was an obsession. I was thinking more of (say) an
> over-the-phone job interview kind of question.

Even worse. I would question the competence of an interviewer asking me to
"speak source" to him over the phone. Verbal communication is a really
poor medium for accurately conveying such things. Programming languages
are (COBOL aside) designed to be read/written, not spoken.

> Certainly if your language is so full of baroque character combinations
> that nobody even agrees how to read it out loud, there's something
> wrong. Especially given that even APL isn't that bad, and APL doesn't
> even use ASCII. :-)

APL uses only one-character operators. You could recite C++ source one
character at a time too.

This is something of a pet peeve of mine, gained after hearing far too
many people trying (and failing miserably) to communicate source code
verbally.

--
FE