POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : evil TV commercials : Re: evil TV commercials Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: evil TV commercials
From: Phil Cook
Date: 14 May 2008 04:10:52
Message: <op.ua4wy2puc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 13 May 2008 17:17:57 +0100, stbenge <stb### [at] hotmailcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Tue, 13 May 2008 10:58:06 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
>> did spake, saying:

>>>   I was just wondering why should this be of any interest to us.
>>  What, you mean you're not interested in Duloxetine? How can you not be
>> interested in Duloxetine? Isn't everyone interested and talking about
>> Duloxetine? What the hell is Duloxetine anyway?
>
> "Duloxetine is a SNRI (selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake
> inhibitor)." ..."a drug which is indicated for major depressive disorder"
>
> Has it not occurred to you that AQ might actually be warning you, so you
> won't take a harmful drug in the future? You aren't judging a man by his
>   style of information dispensation, are you?

Well the odd subject heading, verbatim quotes from Wikipedia and the
redundant ~13KB molecule image don't help, likewise the assumption that
you know exactly what s/he's talking about without any preamble.

> SSRI/SNRIs are *not* the wonder drugs the pharmaceuticals would have you
> think they are. I've experienced SSRI-induced psychosis myself, although
> I'll admit I was wrongly diagnosed at the time. Simple precaution could
> have saved me a lot of trouble, a vehicle, a driver's license, and six
> months.
>
> Here's something I picked up from Googling. I'm sure there are plenty
> more like it:
> http://www.drugawareness.org/Archives/Miscellaneous/MRadmissions.html

http://flipc.blogspot.com/2008/02/so-drugs-dont-work.html yes I'm picking
on the headlines more, but I had to do the research to do even that.

>> And what the heck has this got to do with TV commercials evil or
>> otherwise?
>
> Obviously the TV commercials are giving people the idea that they can
> take SSRI/SNRIs for nearly any problem causing anxiety or depression.

What TV commercials? Again it's the assumption we know what's being
discussed here, it's like being thrust into the middle of a conversation.
If this is a prescription drug then we here in the UK won't see ANY
adverts for it, because they're not allowed to. We prefer our doctors to
give out prescription medication based on effectiveness and not which has
the catchiest jingle. Likewise we make the assumption that the doctor with
the years of training may know more about this subject then the patient
who's just seen a thirty-second advert.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com