POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sums in a Spreadsheet : Re: Sums in a Spreadsheet Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sums in a Spreadsheet
From: Phil Cook
Date: 12 May 2008 10:22:37
Message: <op.ua1otzfyc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 09 May 2008 22:42:05 +0100, Chambers
<bdc### [at] yahoocom> did spake, saying:

> So I have a certain function f(x), where x is a positive integer value.
>
> I would like another function g(y) which is the sum of all values of
> f(x), with x ranging from 0..y
>
> This is trivial using Sigma notation.  Unfortunately, this is not
> available in
> any spreadsheet I know of (I use MS Office at work, and OpenOffice.org at
> home).

I think the assumption is that anyone who knows Sigma notation will
already know both the geometric and arithmetic progression formulas.

> I'd rather not write a macro for this,
[snip]

How would you input the x value into the function? if you had your
M*R*(D^x) then had a GEOPROG(lower, upper, step, formula) how would you
write the formula containing the variable x in a way Excel (or any
spreadsheet) could interpret?

> Not to mention that every time I opened the spreadsheet, I'd have to
> deal with those annoying security warnings about dangerous macros.

Yes annoying, but understandable that user-defined functions trigger the
macro security flag. Though if it's something you're going to use a lot
then you could just sign it and add the signature as a trusted source.

> I could populate an entire column on a separate sheet with the values I
> need,

Yes unfortunately that's what the Excel SERIESSUM formula requires, and it
wouldn't work for you anyway as the formula equivalent is sum(x*(D^x))
where x is the range.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com