POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LCD TV Color Issues : Re: LCD TV Color Issues Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LCD TV Color Issues
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 7 Nov 2009 18:42:38
Message: <op.u21thcug7bxctx@e6600>
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 21:19:50 +0100, Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

> The second issue is harder to deal with.  I've been trying to calibrate
> the colors on the TV, and it doesn't seem possible to get a good setup
> for it.  No matter how I adjust things, some programs look good while
> others are either washed out or too dark.
>
> I don't know how else to describe it, other than that there seems to be
> some fundamental differences in the color space between PCs and TVs that
> the traditional gamma / brightness / contrast settings can't account for.

Video in Y'UV/Y'CbCr colour space is generally compressed to a smaller
luma range (16-235) than RGB signals (0-255). A TV may expect different
luma ranges depending on the type of input signal. When you display video
   from a computer, the source data can be in either range, the playback
software may or may not try to compress/stretch the luma range for output,
and the video card/driver may or may not alter the range as well. The
latter two are controllable, but the first one will inevitably vary.

--
FE