POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A very interesting article about light pollution : Re: A very interesting article about light pollution Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A very interesting article about light pollution
From: Phil Cook
Date: 12 Sep 2007 12:05:35
Message: <op.tyjtnxw6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:18:04 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

>>> Yeah, it's difficult at best - I've gotten better the last couple of
>>> years, but there's still a bit of that 'moth' reaction - bright light,
>>> must stare at it...
>>
>> But even if you don't everything vanishes, especially regarding the
>> ponces with halogens 'Well it allows me to see where I'm going more
>> clearly' shame it prevents anyone else.
>
> Well, yes and no....I don't mind the halogens if they're aimed properly.

Too many self-fit jobs, put in at the same time the boot (trunk) was
filled in with bass speakers.

>>> Well, you still want headlights, though - otherwise you can't see the
>>> cars coming at you from any direction.
>>
>> Oh sure, but why do they need to be angled where they are; why do you
>> need two pair I wonder what would happen if we went back to war-time
>> conditions with cardboard stuck over the lights with just small slits
>> cut out of them.
>
> We'd still have people who forget.  Part of the issue, I think, is that
> some drivers become reliant on DRL, which are high beams at 50% or
> something like that - which are aimed higher.  The manufacturers need to
> use the regular lights rather than the highs.
>
> And put a gizmo in the seat to shock the driver if they drive with only
> their DRLs or lights off after dark.

Okay I'm going to equate DRL with sidelights (which, if right, answers
your last question) sidelights are visiblilty aids - full lights to see,
sidelights to be seen; in other words drizzle, light fog, twilight. Use
where full lights give you no real aid in seeing where you're going, but
you want to make sure you're seen.

So saying that if you're driving along a lit street, you don't legally
require your full lights on as the street lights provide enough
illumination and your sidelights provide enough of an indication as to
your prescence.

Yet again it should be one of those driver decision things, which has been
revoked by cars that just switch them on by default.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com