POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A very interesting article about light pollution : Re: A very interesting article about light pollution Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A very interesting article about light pollution
From: Phil Cook
Date: 12 Sep 2007 10:06:27
Message: <op.tyjn5eiwc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:17:03 +0100, Bill Pragnell
<bil### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> scott wrote:
>>> I see a staggering number of road users with full-beam lights on hours
>>> before the daylight begins to go. I know some cars have automatic
>>> side-lights etc, (e.g. Volvos) but I really can't believe that all
>>> these blazing beacons are helpless automatics. Sometimes I feel I'm
>>> the only driver on the road without my headlights on, at 5 or 6pm in
>>> the summer. Ludicrous. And wasteful.
>>  I always have my headlights on no matter what the weather or time of
>> day if I'm driving on the autobahn.  The reason is simply so that
>> people will notice me sooner/at all when I am approaching from behind
>> (and hopefully not pull out infront of me).

So you're compensating for everyone else's poor driving skills ;-)

>>  Wasteful doesn't really come into it, the lights are using 80 W and my
>> engine is developing 80 kW.
>
> Hmm, in broad daylight I don't notice cars any quicker if they have
> their lights on but I guess I can't speak for everyone.

When they're coming at me I do, but I've got to side with Scott on this. I
do notice the cars behind me with their lights on, mostly because I now
have a set of lights reflecting off my mirrors and directly into my eyes.

> As for the waste, well, I am speaking as an owner of a 1.1L tiddler

'Well they say the car is inversely proportional to one's manhood' said
the smug owner of the 800cc Matiz.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com