POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who's game to help a vid game novice? : Re: Who's game to help a vid game novice? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who's game to help a vid game novice?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 28 Mar 2008 10:36:22
Message: <op.t8qgbrrsc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:11:56 -0000, Chambers
<ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> I tried it once with... Final Fantasy X or possibly VIII, I went
>> through the story with the minimum amount of roaming and repetition,
>> got to the end and got wiped out because none of my attacks could put a
>> dent in the bad guy/women/thing with tentacles and all its unavoidable
>> attacks wiped out my party's health instantly.
>
> It must have been X, because VIII used a scaling system so that the
> monsters were always some multiple of your strength.

It still had random encounters* and was on the PS2 yeah gotta be X;
essentially the game seemed to be saying "Hey glad you got to this part of
the story now bugger off and do a load of unrelated crap until you're good
enough to progress"

*Okay online comic strip - the characters have stowed away aboard a ship's
hold in a crate, get out and are confronted by some sort of cleaning robot
who points out that to pass through the apparently empty hold will entail
battling the 999 security robots contained therein [character takes one
step fight music starts] 'Damnit not another random encounter'; sigh I
just can't remember which comic.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com