POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who's game to help a vid game novice? : Re: Who's game to help a vid game novice? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who's game to help a vid game novice?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 27 Mar 2008 05:43:15
Message: <op.t8n714nyc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:17:07 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

> Mike the Elder <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Here's the mystery: How could the same people who
>> could create art and story components which display virtually
>> indisputable
>> evidence of rather advanced aesthetic and intellectual sensibilities
>> produce
>> and publish a game in which the player is compelled to spend the great
>> majority
>> of playing time in INSANELY frequent and absolutely pointless battles
>> with silly
>> monsters?
>
>   From an outsider point of view most of the battles in RPGs (be it
> Japanese
> style or western style) seem pointless and boring. However, somehow when
> you actually play the game, it can be quite addictive. (Why do you think
> these games sell so much?)
>   It's not only about mindless killing. It's about combat tactics and
> leveling up.

No it's just grind - Oh look I get to fight these same three 'random'
baddies who are using exactly the same tactics as the last ones. Why am I
doing this rather then just running away or through them? Because if I
don't level up then by the time I reach the end-boss it'll be one 9999
attack and all my characters are dead.

I tried it once with... Final Fantasy X or possibly VIII, I went through
the story with the minimum amount of roaming and repetition, got to the
end and got wiped out because none of my attacks could put a dent in the
bad guy/women/thing with tentacles and all its unavoidable attacks wiped
out my party's health instantly.

I don't like games where the optional extras aren't really optional if you
actually want to finish.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com