POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Continental confusion : Re: Continental confusion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Continental confusion
From: Phil Cook
Date: 26 Mar 2008 09:19:49
Message: <op.t8mne9nuc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:57:58 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

>   Am I the only one who is confused about continents?
>
>   For one, how many continents are there, really?

As has been mentioned it's about as concrete a definition as "planet", to
my mind the best definition in a geographical sense would be - a tectonic
plate with a land mass (uncovered by water) equal to or greater then the
land mass (covered by water).

The list of continents would then be

North America
Africa
Eurasia
Arabia
and India

with South America, Australia/Oceania and Antarctica possibly being fudged
in if we lower the limits and/or define water as liquid.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com