POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Phil Cook
Date: 11 Mar 2008 04:15:02
Message: <op.t7ug8qgoc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:37:47 -0000, Gilles Tran
<gil### [at] agroparistechfr> did spake, saying:

> de
> news: op.t7s7rzxyc3xi7v@news.povray.org...
>
>> No and I'm not saying users are dummies (ignorant perhaps), what is
>> being
>> said is that the core functionality of the program is being expanded at
>> the expense of memory when the majority of users may not be using the
>> majority of the functions.
>
> The Excel solver is optional. And it's kind of annoying when you have to
> send a file to someone assuming it's installed when it's not... Ditto for
> any application that require plugins. Modular applications are nice but
> when
> one has to share documents (which is the norm in many working
> environments)
> it can be problematic. Also, the process itself of finding, adding and
> removing modules adds to the complexity (where's that friggin video
> library)
> and when software operation becomes dependent on the compatibility
> between
> modules and the main application it can cause serious issues.

I agree locating third-party plugins is annoying and tiresome, except
we're not talking about a third-party here; the program should know where
it has put its own stuff. If I send you a spreadsheet that uses ACCRINT
Excel should know that requires the Anayls32.xll and Funcres.xla and just
load them up as needed.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com