POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Phil Cook
Date: 10 Mar 2008 07:18:09
Message: <op.t7su5kp6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:24:00 -0000, Nicolas Alvarez
<nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> did spake, saying:

>> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>>> I don't know anyone (personally, and in the same country as me) who is
>>> geeky enough to know about D&D anyway. So even if it sounded
>>> interesting to me (which it doesn't), who would I play with?
>>  That's why WoW is such a hit, methinks. All the asocial nerds who'd
>> otherwise be playing D&D can now WoW with folks in other countries.
>
> Well, I *have* tried MMORPGs. And I didn't like them. I consider the
> "Massively Monotonous Online Repetitive Perpetual Gaming" backronym to
> be somewhat accurate.
>
> And WoW isn't even free...

The problem, I think, with MMORPGs is they lack the RP part. Oh sure
you're pretending to be a dwarf or dark elf, but unless you can find a
server that specifically states it's for role-play then it descends to
grind to a new level and score phat loot while comparing DPS and demanding
buffs; what your character is doesn't real matter any more. Comparing
'proper' D&D style role-play with MMORPGs is like comparing rugby and
soccer.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com