POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : USB Input device disabling Windows power management : Re: USB Input device disabling Windows power management Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: USB Input device disabling Windows power management
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 9 Mar 2008 04:39:02
Message: <op.t7qs3dbs7bxctx@e6600.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 07:44:54 +0100, Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> I have a USB input device, a game controller.  When this is plugged in,
> my monitor never gets turned off by the Windows power management (the
> hard drives, however, spin down as they should, so the problem is only
> limited to the display).

It is possible that the device prevents the system from entering a reduced
power state, in which case the problem is not limited to just the display.
Note that the hard drives are controlled by separate timers.

One thing to try is updating to newer drivers (if available), both for the
device itself and for the USB controller (i.e. chipset drivers).

If on Vista, make sure to enable "USB selective suspend" in the power
management options.

If on XP, there is a hotfix that may or may not help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918005

--
FE