POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD solves my life : Re: XKCD solves my life Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD solves my life
From: Phil Cook
Date: 6 Mar 2008 10:15:40
Message: <op.t7lonvy8c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 06 Mar 2008 12:00:26 -0000, Gilles Tran
<gil### [at] agroparistechfr> did spake, saying:

> 47cfca31$1@news.povray.org...
>> Yeh, I'd never heard of this game until I was in the car with my sister
>> and her boyfriend.  They were playing this game but for the new Mini,
>> not
>> the bug.  I don't know where they got it from.
>
> I was recently surprised to hear small kids <5 year old) use certain
> "gross/funny" words that were already popular with small kids 40 years
> ago.
> Since these words are only used by kids, you won't find them in books and
> parents/teachers are unlikely to use them. One can only guess that each
> generation of kids n pass them on to generation n+1. That's a 100% oral
> tradition, flying below the parental and academic radars and disconnected
> from the mainstream cultural environment. It's pretty amazing actually.

On the subject of games I have a vague recollection of someone writing a
book about it. He travelled around schools and made a note of what was
being played; I think he was surprised at the cross-pollination i.e. all
the schools had some form of Tag or British Bulldog etc.

Heh just checked Wikipedia had British Bulldog - "characterised by its
high level of violence and physicality, leading it to be banned from many
schools", but that's why it was fun.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com