POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity -19KB Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity -19KB
From: Phil Cook
Date: 5 Mar 2008 09:35:00
Message: <op.t7jr1rnqc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:20:26 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> Eventually the course came to a close. (Shortly before Christmas
>>> actually.)
>>  I did wonder, but it seemed you'd only attended about two classes.
>
> Actually 11 classes. Most of which just involved sitting around drawing
> stuff. [Which I could have done myself.] And being told about all the
> stuff I did wrong. [Which is also pretty self-evident.]

Time well spent then :-)

>>> Did I learn *anything* useful? Yes, probably.
>>  Probably?
>
> I learned the following facts:
>
> - Drawing is FREAKING HARD! I had assumed that there's a special
> technique to it. But no, there isn't. I had assumed that drawing only
> *seems* hard because I'm doing it the wrong way. But no, actually it
> *really is* hard. And that's all there is to it.

To be precise you find drawing hard, my cousin finds drawing easy.

> - Getting the proportions of shapes and the angles of lines exactly
> correct is insanely important. (I was really shocked when the teacher
> got out a ruler and started *measuring* my hand-drawn image. But sure,
> the line is definitely 8 mm longer than it should be. Jesus, I need to
> be THAT ACCURATE???)

Art teacher meet Picasso, Picasso this is art teacher. So long as you can
tell what it is who cares?

> - I tend to obsess about drawing tiny details rather than looking at the
> whole image to check whether it's actually in proportion.

But that's fine if you're trying to duplicate exactly what you see for
architectural purposes, but it ain't art.

> - You can check proportions by lining various image elements up against
> each other. (E.g., a person's nose is supposed to line up with their
> ears. If it doesn't... they look pretty retarded.)

Okay now you're dealing with faces and yep that's hard because of how our
brains work

> - Empty space is really important.

Meh.

> That more or less summarises what I learned. I still can't draw very
> well - but I've got a little better at copying drawings...

Okay once again here's a quickie essentially what lies between my keyboard
and monitor base, HB pencil, eraser, no ruler and a index finger to smudge
stuff. It's not in proportion, but if I'd use it as a base drawing.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message