POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Mar 2008 07:39:31
Message: <op.t7hr6brcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:02:30 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> I didn't get very far with the GIMP. The extreme uncontrollability of
> the lines made me give up rather quickly. PhotoShop seems much better in
> this regard, although I still couldn't get decent curves out of the
> cheap optical mouse.

One of the reasons I prefer dealing with vectors.

> I did play around with layers. Apart from PhotoShop mysteriously
> changing the active layer every 3 seconds, it worked quite well. I had a
> go at scanning one of my drawings, inking it up, colouring and
> counter-shading it.
>
> One thing I did have a problem with is that the brush tool draws
> beautifully anti-aliased lines, but then the flood fill tool doesn't
> fill right up to the edges. It leaves a useless white gap around the
> edges of the lines. Presumably there's a simple way around this?

Yeah put your brushed lines on one layer and the flood fill on another,
not sure of the defaults in Elements, but you can set the background of
any new layer to transparent. So let's say you create your brush strokes
on one layer then add in a graduated flood fill on another, move that
layer beneath the brush stokes and the antialiasing will allow the fill to
come through. Then add another graduated flood fill in another layer, put
it between the other two and change its overall transparency. :-)

> Also, I haven't yet figured out how to fill in the counter-shading
> without accidentally drawing over the outlines. (But I didn't really
> look into it very much, so it might be something simple.)

Outlines on another layer. If in doubt layer it.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com