POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 18 Mar 2008 11:26:12
Message: <op.t77zuvg0c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:55:45 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did

spake, saying:

> Gilles Tran wrote:
>
>> Some *** cell phones *** can do (basic) video editing now. So yes, it
's

>> mainstream technology as demonstrated by millions of YouTube

>> "directors".
>> You'll need lots of disc space though. A Mini DV tape translates into

>> tens of gigabytes.
>
>  From what I've seen of mobile phone "pictures" and "videos", the

> quality as so abysmal as to be laughable. I'm talking about video that

> you'd actually want to *watch*! ;-)

My camera takes still images at 3072*2304, but movies at 640*480; mobile

phones at 320*240 (or better now). Neither of these items are designed

primarily for taking movies, so a trade-off has to occur. If you can mak

out what's happening then the quality is good enough

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2197464393936227318 (sound)

> As for YouTube, most of it seems to be either illegal movies, mobile

> phone recordings [most of which demonstrate an awe-inspiring level of

> pointlessness], or footage of computer games.

Otherwise known as 'things young geeks do' :-)

> Video editing is something that moderately interests me. And I have a

> digital camcorder now. But I'm not aware of any way of getting the

> digital data from the camera to my PC, and that presumably means I'll

> need an expensive video capture card...

If you want real-time editing and remastering back to the camera then

quite possibly; if you just want to pull the data then play with it for

burning or uploading then as Gilles said you just need capacity. How doe

your camera want to output data, let me guess Firewire?

--

Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com