POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 18 Mar 2008 11:58:54
Message: <op.t771c3tyc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:39:37 -0000, Nicolas Alvarez
<nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> did spake, saying:

>>> My camera takes still images at 3072*2304, but movies at 640*480;
>>> mobiles phones at 320*240 (or better now).
>>  My camera is 3 megapixels. My mum bought one that's 5 megapixels. She
>> was all, like, "hey, my camera's better than yours!" Until we tried to
>> use it. And we discovered that my camera takes "pictures", and hers
>> produces grainy unrecognisible things.
>>  I hypothesize this is due to my camera's 45 mm lense, and her camera's
>> 2.1 mm lense. >:-)
>>  Having the best sensor in the world won't help you if you have crap
>> optics. So, yeah, telling me the resolution is interesting, but it
>> isn't the whole story.

Yeah I'm assuming you have a still camera that takes decent still shots;
crap in , crap out - what a surprise. What I'm saying is my 7MP camera
doesn't take 7MP movies because it's not designed to shunt that amount of
data around at 30fps.

> Sensor size matters too. If it has 5 megapixels stuffed into a VERY tiny
> area, graininess will show up.
>
> Or so I read.

Which I why I'm glad I have a large sensor size and lense compared to the
more pocket-friendly cameras of my friends.

>>> How does your camera want to output data, let me guess Firewire?

>> Composite or S-Video.

How old is it?

--
Phil Cook