POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Phil Cook
Date: 15 Feb 2008 11:51:27
Message: <op.t6krqvq2c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:50:24 -0000, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
spake, saying:

>> Nope, however you do require a Shotgun or Firearm Certificate from the
>> police first; they're the ones who do the 'sanity checking'.
>>
>>> And I assume also they wouldn't sell a gun to a school kid?
>>
>> As an under-17 wouldn't be able to get a certificate that would be a
>> correct assumption.
>
> So I still wonder about my original thoughts, all these shootings you
> hear about in the US, where do they get the guns from?  Parents?
> Friends? Bought illegally? Stolen from a shop?

As Sabrina says some of them are over-17, but for the under's I'll be
betting on a family gun or some such. Was it Michael Moore who pointed out
that the majority of guns 'on the streets' in America were stolen from
those who purchased them legally.

At least here in the UK part of getting that certificate requires you to
have a secure gun cabinet or similar. Sure it won't help in a prolonged
burglary, but at least it's a bit more difficult then being in a drawer or
on top of the wardrobe.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com