POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Phil Cook
Date: 15 Feb 2008 07:17:52
Message: <op.t6ke0ofgc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:08:56 -0000, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
spake, saying:

>> You know, to outsiders it seems like this kind of thing has become
>> routine in
>> America.
>
> From the BBC article:
>
> "Last Friday, a woman shot dead two fellow students before killing
> herself at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. In Memphis,
> Tennessee, a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding
> a student on Monday, and a 15-year-old was shot at a junior high school
> in California on Tuesday."
>
> The whole culture in the US seems different regarding guns.

And it's this that seems to be more the problem then simple ownership

>  The only guns I've ever seen in my life are the ones the police carry.
> I don't know anyone who has a gun, I don't know anyone who could get me
> a gun if I wanted one.

Midnight on level 2 of the multi-storey car-park, bring cash.

>  I'm sure most people round here are the same.  Unless you are in some
> large criminal gang, I just don't think you can get hold of a gun.

Oo ar well I be in the country so we get a lot of shotguns and the odd
rifle. No handguns of course since the ban. Incidently we seem to be
getting increased reporting of stabbing incidents.

> These seem like previously "normal" people before they do these
> shootings, where do they get the guns from?

Gunshops.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com