POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Phil Cook
Date: 14 Feb 2008 09:11:04
Message: <op.t6ipluqkc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:43:42 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> I played HL2 once, and didn't enjoy it very much. The scenary is far
>>> too drab and boring. The enemies are all humanoids of some kind.
>>  Except the headcrabs, and the antlions, and the stalkers, and the
>> heliships; but yeah I know what you mean
>
> Stalkers are humanoid. I presume you mean Striders? :-P

Yeah the tripod knock-offs

>>> Obviously, all the vehicles are almost completely uncontrolable.
>>> Digital steering is like that.
>>  Pffh I'm using an analogue controller on the console and it's terrible.
>
> Really? That's odd.

Accelerate, brake and steer controlled by the movement of one stick.

> Still, I guess you still have digital accelerator control. Not that that
> stopped me in my Perguet 205 says. >:-D
>
>> I like the crossbow for the long range stuff, magnum for those headcrab
>> carriers
>
> I like the magnum for... everything, really. Except that you fire a
> couple of shots and you are now *out* of ammo. Completely. I mean, you
> get 2-dozen bullets before you can't carry any more?

That's because it's a one-shot kill, if there was a ton af ammo about
you'd use it for everything and it would get boring.

> The SMG *was* a damn good weapon in HL1. But in HL2 it doesn't seem to
> cause much damage any more...

No I didn't use it a lot in HL2, too inaccurate.

>>> The best weapon in HL1 was the neato orange cannon - but unfortunately
>>> they removed that because it was too useful and interesting.
>>  Orange cannon? Hold on....the Tau cannon, meh I never really used it
>> that much.
>
> I used it for absolutely everything. It shoots round corners, it has
> amazing range, it takes down helicopters faster than a rocket launcher
> (!!), and it also glows. Oh yeah - and there's no ammo around...
>
>> Shotgun to the head for them
>
> This requires you to actually *have* some shotgun shells.

Well yeah, but it only needs one clear shot to the head. I think I've
needed three max to take ones of them down.

> Or even bullets for the pistol. I mean *damn*... After playing Ravenholm
> for about 4 minutes, I was *out* of ammo. Of any kind. Even grenades
> (which, obviously, I never use). Good thing there's so many leathal
> traps around...

Hmm odd I wasn't

>> grav-gun for the headcrabs, and grav-gun buzzsaw blade for slow zombies.
>
> You can't *kill* things with a gravity gun! (At least, except under lab
> conditions anyway...)

On the PS3 at least both types of headcrabs can be knocked about and
eventually killed by the grav-gun alone, otherwise gotta love the saw
blades.

>>> And there's no healthpacks anywhere either.
>>  I do recall a dearth of such in Ravenholm
>
> Slightly...
>
>> As I've said it's the Mr Benn approach that irks me.
>
> The what?

"As if by magic the shopkeeper appeared" substitute shopkeeper with
zombies, or any other enemy you care to mention.

>>> I haven't watched nearly enough of it to notice that. But part way
>>> through, it seems the writers noticed that the more unhappy Buffy is,
>>> the better the ratings are. That's when I really, really stopped
>>> watching. I don't *want* Buffy to be unhappy...
>>  It goes up and down, you know a bit like real life. How far did you
>> get, can you recall?
>
> Well, ya know, first Spike was evil, then Spike couldn't actually be
> evil any more but wanted to help out other evil guys, the Spike was
> good, then Spike became bad again... [Said Buffy fanatic was *obsessed*
> with Spike... wanted to marry him and stuff. Yes, she was a teenager.]

Yeah, but James Marsters *is* good as Spike.

> I do recall Spike had a rebot made that looks exactly like Buffy. And
> one time Buffy was invisible and decided to start... uh... having fun
> with Spike. ("No, this is a bad idea. Hey!... What are you doing down
> there?... That's not fair...")
>
>> So how many shows of Xena have you caught?
>
> Not many. (Not even enough to work out the various characters' names.)

Always liked Callisto, Hudson Leick got the character perfectly.

> I do recall an episode where Xena's nemesis stole her unborn child's
> soul and wanted Xena's to bring her back to the living world before she
> would relinquish it. So Xena had a bunch of people hold hands and
> meditate to create a non-real world to "rescue" her to... or...
> something. I do remember there was lots of fighting...

Yeah that wasn't one of the best ones, IIRC it was the one with the bad
CGI skeletons in it.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com