POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Internet censorship in Finland : Re: Internet censorship in Finland Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internet censorship in Finland
From: Phil Cook
Date: 14 Feb 2008 06:21:29
Message: <op.t6ihs4fwc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:02:33 -0000, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
spake, saying:

>> But then there should be a procedure by which a citizen can challenge
>> the blocking (blockage?) of a certain web site, and have that decided by
>> a committee (which could ultimately be taken to a court of law).
>
> Yep, there should be, but again in practise it's not really going to
> work. It could take weeks or months to go through that process, and
> websites can change their content continuously.  By the time some review
> comes up, the content could have changed, which un-blocks it anyway, or
> after some ruling the content could change again which then blocks it
> again.
>
> Better to just fine-tune the blocking policies as time goes on and live
> with a few border-line sites that are classified incorrectly.

Had a site blocked quite some time ago. Apparently someone with
foo-bar.co.uk was up to no good and got blocked, and for good measure they
blocked us at foobar.co.uk. This despite the fact the names were
registered under different identities, in different parts of the country,
by different ISPs, several years apart; all of which was shown quite
clearly via a WHOIS. They didn't bother to send us a notification, they
didn't bother to send our hosting ISP a notification they just blocked it.
We all wondered why we were getting bounced. Took about a month to sort
out IIRC.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com