POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Phil Cook
Date: 12 Feb 2008 04:30:41
Message: <op.t6encs1ec3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 00:21:31 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:03:11 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> True, but nobody ever said life was easy, either.  The problem is that
>>> it's often difficult to distinguish between lazy/unmotivated and when
>>> something's truly too difficult.
>>
>> True, some people think that because they've just one type of job they
>> *deserve* exactly the same type of job regardless of availabilty and
>> reject anything else. I may have mentioned my father who went from TV
>> repairman to shop manager to refuse collector to warehouse manager.
>
> Yep.  I always have figured that I deserve the type of job I am willing
> to work for.  I'm not entitled to any kind of job.

Course you are; it's against your human rights not to be offered the job
you deserve :-P

> That's one of the problems in society these days - a lot of people feel
> they are entitled to things they need to be working for.

To an extent I blame the cult of celebrity, anyone can become a 'star'
today so why bother to work hard when tomorrow some bigshot producer may
spot your music video on youtube? Combine that with a social security
system that can work out to be paying you more then a full-time job and
then mix-in the confusion between want and need; oh it's all good fun.

>>> Egg, that's the one.  We're generally like that as well (got one card
>>> that's nearly maxxed out at over $10K, due to the need to replace our
>>> boiler - but at a great interest rate; the others don't get used hardly
>>> at all).  Yet they keep raising our limits; it's to the point that I'm
>>> actively afraid to use the cards for fear I'll go crazy and max them
>>> all out and not be able to make even the minimum payments.  Better they
>>> just sit in the safe unused.
>>
>> They keep pestering me to borrow money. My parents find this amusing
>> when I mention it, apparently back in ye olden days you pratically had
>> to beg and sign your contract in blood to get a loan; now it's - "please
>> borrow money off us"
>
> Yeah; at the same time that I'm hearing about Citi dropping people's
> credit limits, they've bumped mine up yet again.  They are *really* going
> to be surprised when the tax refund shows up in a couple of weeks and we
> pay most of it off.

'Thank you for paying off all the money you owe us. As a reward we're
dropping your credit limit so you can't borrow so much from us'

>>> Yep, same approach we use.  It pays to be mercenary about what banks
>>> you do business with these days.
>>
>> It's not as if it's difficult to switch these days.
>
> Ain't that the truth.  My mom's moving (tomorrow if everything goes
> well); she's been with the same bank for some 40 years now and said she
> has no plans to switch (even though the bank she was originally with got
> bought by another, which got bought by yet another).  She couldn't even
> remember the name of the original bank (and I can't now, though I did
> when I was talking with her last week - Ah, yes, "First Bank"); I
> suggested that at the least, she might pick a branch closer to her new
> place, and she's going to think about it.

Sod love, inertia's the most powerful human motivation :-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com