POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dreams : Re: Dreams Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dreams
From: Phil Cook
Date: 29 Feb 2008 04:00:12
Message: <op.t693adjac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:14:50 -0000, St. <dot### [at] dotcom> did spake,
saying:

> "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote in message
>> And lo on Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:21:13 -0000, St. <dot### [at] dotcom> did spake,
>> saying:
>
>>>     Some places are saying that it was 10 seconds long, but for me it
>>> was
>>> nowhere near that, (and I felt it from begining to end).
>>
>> People saying it lasted "minutes", people further away from the
>> epicentre
>> then I talking about how it shook everything... as I've said elsewhere -
>> house went up, house came down.
>
>    Yeah, I read that, nice humorous little read and description as always
> with you Phil.

Thankee kind sir.

>> Really though it was all the news stories that were amusing me. CCTV
>> footage of the event "the camera shakes violently" um take a camera in
>> your hand now gently oscillate it up and down and side-to side; ooh yeah
>> violent.
>
>      Heh, yeah, I noticed that. GMTV were *pleading* with anyone that
> might have good footage of anything that happened around them.

Oh they were all pleading for pictures and videos.

> Erm, yeah, I'll
> just whip out the video camera, wipe the sleep from my eyes, and shoot a
> house falling down in the street at 1am - all in 10 seconds.  ;)

Well statistically given the number of mobiles out there with video
footage and the numbers of people out and about at that time someone
somewhere must have a recording... so please send it in oh and check with
the T&Cs first that state that doing so means we own your SOUL um footage.

>     What I'm wondering though, is quite a few reports mentioned differing
> effects and noises with the quake, so I'm wondering if quite a few faults
> were involved with this one, or would it have been a much bigger quake if
> that was the case? Hmm...

Well as Bill said ground may have something to do with it, but the teeny
tiny cynical part of me thinks it has more to do with what people expect
an earthquake to be like from watching films. I mean if you look at the
seismic recordings you get rumbles-peak-rumbles; translate over distance
and all you're going to get is the peak.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com