POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet : Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet
From: Phil Cook
Date: 26 Feb 2008 04:58:49
Message: <op.t64lz4jqc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 03:03:18 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> However it is also true to say that we evolved within a particularly
>> stable ecosystem.
>
> Bzzzt. Thanks for playing.
>
> Which ecosystem is that? Arctic? Africa? Polynesian islands? Europe?
> South America?
>
> Many of the disparities between human societies came about exactly
> because of the differences in ecosystems. Europe had metal ore near the
> surface and the eurasian continent was broadly east-west, so Europe got
> a big jump over Africa when humans moved there.  (The latter allowed
> people to take domesticated animals and plants with them when they
> moved, since it was in the same temperate zone.)
>
> People have colonized everyplace in the world, wiped out most big
> dangerous animals they came across (again, outside of Africa), and lived
> through both heat waves and ice ages.  It's been far from stable.

Over the long term it has been stable it's only been recently (long-term)
that we've been wiping out species and domesticating both fauna and flora
and carrying them with us; and look at the consequences. Talk to some of
the Australians here about the introduction of non-native species to their
country, look at how vulnerable our crops are to disease due to their
uniformity.

I'm not saying we can't, and haven't, adapted to short-term alterations
what I'm saying is that logically our best chances of survival is to
maintain a system that we know we can survive in.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com