POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet : Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet
From: Phil Cook
Date: 25 Feb 2008 11:21:31
Message: <op.t6281eouc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:37:05 -0000, John VanSickle
<evi### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> gregjohn wrote:
>
> If man is changing the earth, big deal; Mother Nature was changing the
> earth for millenia before we showed up, has done so during our time
> here, and if she outlasts us will continue to do so when we are gone.

However it is also true to say that we evolved within a particularly
stable ecosystem. To increase the probability of our survival maintenance
of the status quo is the most logical route to take rather then to allow
it to mutate and possibly throw something at us we wouldn't be able to
survive.

Without complete knowledge of how one part affects another we have no
basis for deciding whether something is inconsequential if removed and
thus can only act to save everything. That's not to say we couldn't
isolate ourselves completely; except that we would still be attempting to
maintain control, but merely over a smaller environment.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com